Thursday, July 23, 2015

Cheap & Easy History Timeline

 
We use KONOS unit studies and LOVE it! If you have a wiggly, hands-on type learner you might find you love it too! One of my son's favorite activities is putting his characters on his timeline. We are super budget conscious (cheap) over here and have very limited wall space so, instead of the AMAZING poster KONOS offers, though I do plan to get it at some point, I chose to make my own. I did purchase their awesome timeline characters though, they were just too cute to pass up! You can see their amazing timeline and charcters HERE.
 
 

 
 
 
I found these packs of "word strips" at our local dollar store and thought I could use them as my timeline!


When I turned them over they were a solid color, which I liked better. I decided to use red for BC and alternate yellow and green for AD. I then used a sharpie to write dates on both ends of each strip. Each strip is 100 years. This is what it looked like when we first put it up...

 
 
 
...and this is what it looks like after our Inquisitive unit.
 
 
 Notice I had to add a green strip. I knew I would need to at some point so I made sure to give myself extra room on the wall to do so! I keep the extra strips in my teaching closet.
 

Annnd this is Xander photobombing me. Such a ham.


 Here's a close up of one of his favorite people we studied, Leif Erikson. Isn't he cute?!
 

 
Xander had to grab his globe to show Leif was an explorer!
 

This timeline was only $6 to make which made my frugal heart happy!
 
 I love the premade characters we use, but if you have an artistic child, they might enjoy drawing their own! Do you use a history timeline in your homeschool?
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment